History of Ben Avon Heights

The Borough of Ben Avon Heights is situated on a hill above the Ohio River just nine miles from the city of Pittsburgh. The original land belonged to the farms of Samuel Taylor and John Wilson. In 1906 Walter P. Fraser of Ben Avon bought 84 acres on the former Taylor farm and used forty of the acres to build the Ben Avon Country Club and golf course. He opened up the rest of the property for a residential development, calling the area Ben Avon Heights. The rural site attracted Pittsburghers who wanted summer homes. A complete history of the formation of Ben Avon Heights Borough is available.

The approximately two square mile area Borough is now primarily a residential community with 142 homes, a lovely community park, and one commercial property, the Shannopin Country Club.

Borough Historical Facts