Trash and Recycling Information
Recycling Collection InformationAll recycling for the Borough of Ben Avon Heights will be collected on every other MONDAY. Please make sure it is at the curb by 6:00 a.m. for collection. The schedule for pickup is also available.
Ben Avon Heights residents can now enjoy Single-Stream Recycling! The following recyclables should be placed inside the container.
- Newspapers - Black & White or Pigmented Newspaper can be placed directly inside your bin and does not need to be bundled or in a separate bag.
- Brown, green and clear - Food and beverage bottles and jars. Rinse out to remove food debris. Must be unbroken. No need to remove labels.
- No window glass, dishes, light bulbs
- Natural and pigmented plastic narrow-neck containers with symbols 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 indicated by a recycling symbol with an enclosed number 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7. Includes soda bottles, salad dressing bottles, etc.
- Rinse out containers and remove lids and metal or plastic rings. May be crushed to save space. No need to remove labels.
- Bi-Metal and Steel Cans - Food and juice cans. Rinse cans. Ends may be removed and placed in cans. No need to remove labels.
- Aluminum Can - Beverage Cans/Beer and Soda. Rinse cans and can crush to save space. No need to remove labels. Aerosol and paint cans are not recyclable.
- Other - Corrugated cardboard, paper, etc.
- Corrugated cardboard, Magazines, catalogs, Junk Mail, Construction paper, Computer Paper, Copy Paper, Cereal Boxes, Shoe Boxes, and Kraft Paper. - Corrugated cardboard must be flattened and cut and can be no larger than 4'x 4'.
Recycling Holiday ServiceIf your scheduled recycling pick-up is on or after a holiday, pick-up will be one day later for the remainder of the week.
Recycling Drop-off InformationOther materials can be recycled as well although they are not collected. These items must be dropped off at the local recycling centers.
- Phone Books - white pages and yellow pages. This also includes paperback books
- Hardback Books - all hardback books
- Construction Junction will take all of the above items. Each classification should be separated and when taken for drop-off placed in the correct bin. All Cardboard and Paperboard boxes must be flattened.
- Alibibi will take Newspaper, Magazines, White Office Paper, and Mixed Paper. There are many drop-off bins throughout the community including all Avonworth Schools and the libraries.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Southwest Pennsylvania Household Hazardous Waste Task Force works with local municipalities and businesses to promote 2010 household hazardous waste (HHW) collection events. Collection events provide residents with opportunities to protect the environment and community health by safely and economically disposing of common household chemicals. Visit their website for locations and times.